Thursday 12 August 2010

I Love You Phillip Morris

Sweet little film. Jim Carrey loves Ewan McGregor in and out of prisons and mansions and speedboats and fake careers. J and E are both superb in it but I couldn't help but wonder why you needed to get straight actors to play the characters. I suppose their star power ensured the film got the cash to be made. Maybe it's an easier sell to a wider audience too? I don't know - I just felt a bit annoyed that my cynicism got in the way a bit.


Anyway as I said, both actors do a great job. McGregor gives the film its sweetness (and a very convincing gay run that isn't camp or 'look at me, I'm being gay') whilst Carrey is all wild eyed and obsessive and endearing. Amazing that it's based on a true story as well. Some of the cons he pulls off are enormous. And that's not a reference to any of the inmates in the jail scenes.

At only 90 minutes long, you can enjoy this in an evening and still have time to wash up, pick a fantasy football team, get your camera ready for a trip and watch a meteor shower. Well that's what I did, you can do whatever you like. But you should definitely watch this film. If it was a letter, it would be the letter V. It starts brilliantly, sags a bit in the middle and then ends brilliantly. I'm not sure my new alphabet based reviewing system will last so make the most of that. I would love to see a film that got a Q though.

No comments:

Post a Comment