Monday 6 September 2010

The Hunger

Continuing my current obsession with all things Bowie, I thought it was about time I saw this. You could say I was a bit peckish for The Hunger and my appetite was certainly stirred by the weirdy-o opening scenes. Really had no idea what the flibbetygib this film was all about although I knew it was an 80's vampiry thingy.

Turned out to be something far more creepy than that rather kneejerk summary. Proper creepy too. I really liked the slow burning story and the sombre mood for the first half and the fact I had no sense of what was going on. But just as I'd got myself comfortable it lurched off and became a chilling, disturbing melodrama accompanied by mental bursts of 80's keyboards and heavily reverbed screaming. There's some imagery here that will definitely leave a mark on this impressionable, little chap. Nasty stuff - especially the heaven and hell allegory where both destinations are equally unpleasant. Shudder.

Some great make-up on the Thin White Duke and several bits of unexpected sauciness from Suzie Sarandon too. Helped to break up the funereal atmosphere somewhat.

Don't get me wrong lovely reader, it's a really good film - very original and well shot by Tony Scott before he was 'Bruckheimered'. I just found it a bit too unsettling for a Monday night movie. It wasn't what the movie doctor ordered on this occasion.

One more thing - Willem Defoe completely steals the show as '2nd phone booth youth'.

No comments:

Post a Comment