Monday 14 June 2010

Where The Wild Things Are

I watched this with George. George is my son Jack's teddy bear. Neither of us had heard of this supposed classic children's story but we sat down to watch it anyway, mainly because it's directed by Spike Jonze (who is one of George's favourites). I definitely identified with the young boy in this called Max. Maybe it was the loneliness and frustration of childhood or maybe just the fact that I ran away when I was little too. Didn't create as much of an impact as I intended though. Probably because I just hung around behind the butcher's shop for a bit until I got bored and went home for some biscuits.

Some bizarrely beautiful images in this. I wouldn't say that Jonze is the best filmmaker in the world but his lo-fi style and the way he frames things just off kilter is tremendously appealing. Loved the sleep pile and the Saving Private Ryan-esque mud battle. Great use of music too especially the quirky score by Carter Burwell (another of George's favourites).

The big monster dudes are superbly done - which is a good job as the film depends entirely on you getting them. Incredibly expressive for their size and Pixar-esque in the way they subtly convey emotion. It's all in the eyes and the little glances. And using 'esque' in two consecutive paragraphs apparently.

I was trying to figure out what the wild things were and then George explained that they represent all the traits and emotions of Max's childhood and his imaginative little mind has constructed them to help him deal with the stuff that's upset him. Like being told the sun is going to burn out. Clever bear George.

We enjoyed this film. It's not a classic by any means but it was rather lovely. And the wooden base they built in it looked a bit like the Death Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment